Excel/invalid references

Question
"Hi Bob

I worbkbook that I have been using for many years has suddenly started to display this messasge when I try to save it:

“A formula in this worksheet contains one or more invalid references…”

The workbook is quite large and complex.  The information that informs all of the functions and charts is placed in one single worksheet.  This worksheet is changed every new academic year to reflect new students who arrive at the shcool.

This is the only change.  Structurally e.g column heading, formulas...nothing else changes.

I have done some reading.  It seems that this is quite a difficult problem.

Do you know of any code that might identify these invalid references?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Mitchell"

Answer
CHRISTOPHER

Yes the invalid reference error message can be a bit difficult to find.  I have a couple of workbooks that I get that message in that I haven't bothered to fix, becaue they are working fine and finding the error can be problematic and time consuming.

Here is an answer you may have run across that could help--this is offered by shane Devenshire in another excel forum--

"That dialog box give you an option to Edit Links, choose it.  Then look at the Status column - it will be telling you that there is a reference to a Source not found.  It will show you the filename on the far left under Source.
If you click Open Source a dialog box will display showing where it is trying to find the file  C:\My Documents\book1.xlsx  ....
This will tell you the name and location of the file Excel is trying to find.  If the file name or location has changed and you know it you should go back to the Edit Links dialog box by choosing Data, Edit Links and you should use Change Source to find and select it."

One thing to keep in mind is that any reference to an outside workbook/sheet that no longer has the same address or path because it is or has been eliminated will result in that error message  I usually forget this, and even though I am not using an outside reference it still may be in one of my old formulas.  Youc an also get the message if any of your chart references have changed, so I suggest that you check those for errors.

Those would be my suggestions, hope they help.

Good luck

Richard
Florida
USA
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Richard Roberts