Excel/Macro to ungroup data

Hi Tom

I would like a macro that opens up the first line in some grouped rows. I then need the macro to regroup the data below this line.

For example, if the first grouped row is row 5, I would like the macro to ungroup this row.  The complication occurs because next month, the first row in the group will be row 6, and I don't know how to tell the macro this.

Hope this makes sense!

Not sure I understand the situation.  So if rows 5-10 are in a single group you want to  ungroup rows 5-10 and then group rows 6-10?

Also grouping can be done as part of an outline or individually. In outlines, groups can be nested and so forth.

Could you send a sample file (doesn't have to be your real data - just something that looks like it that I can test to see what to look for - it should have grouping applied as when the macro is run) and  explain what you actually want to do.  

>The complication occurs because next month, the first row in the group will be row 6, and I don't know how to tell the macro this.

Nor do I unless you are implying that when the 5-10 group was adjusted and became the 6-10 group when the macro was first run and so the macro should always discover the first group and removed the top row in that group each time it is run.

Please send file and explanation to

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.