Excel/Max Value of rest Breakdown after Best Match

Question
Matching Value
Matching Value  
Dear Sir,

How do i get Max Value after Best Match.

For Example, I want to bring values from Right Table(A) to left Table(Ref data). Max Value will come here if exact code is not available of that breakdown. [Please see my attachment].

Could you please Help giving a good solution on that?

Thanks
Bayezid

Answer
First, you description of the exact code being available is not well defined.  In your sample results chart, every code in the left table has an exact match.  So producing a 5 for 923 is inconsistent since 923 is in the right table (an exact match) with a value of 3

Assume Table A  has the value A in C1 and Value in D1
Assume Table Ref Data has Ref Data in A1 and Match for A in B1

in B2 put in
=MAX(IF(LEFT($C$2:$C$5,LEN($A2))=""&$A2,$D$2:$D$5))  and enter with Ctrl+Shift+Enter rather than just enter.

this give    5, 5, 2

If I want to account for exact matches then I use
=IF(COUNTIF($C$2:$C$5,$A2)=1,INDEX($D$2:$D$5,MATCH($A2,$C$2:$C$5,0),1),MAX(IF(LEFT($C$2:$C$5,LEN($A2))=$A2,$D$2:$D$5)))  again entered with Ctrl+Shift+enter

Hopefully you will be able to craft the solution you need from these examples.

--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy