Excel/numbers change format when hitting "Enter"

Question
I would like to fix ALL future spreadsheets (if possible), so that it will not put in or take out decimals when I am trying to input a phone number, or any other type of number.  Is there a way to fix this once and for all?  Or do I need to do it every single time?

Answer
You may have a setting which puts in the decimal point. Look at File/Options/Advanced - near the top is a checkbox for "Automatically Insert a decimal point" - uncheck that.
Also, if you format any cell to be currency, for example, then when you put in a phone# you'll see a "$". Or if you format a cell to be a phone # (xxx) xxx-xxxx, then if you enter 25, you'll see (000) 000-0025.
YOUR setting of a cell determines future settings of that cell until you override it with another format.
HTH
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Bob Umlas