Hi David – I have two questions:

1) I have an excel workbook which has two spreadsheets.  Can you tell me how I can make one cell on one spreadsheet “pull” data from another cell on the other spreadsheet? (sorry I don’t know the technical terms)
i.e. Somehow the value in cell F24 on one of the spreadsheets would be referenced as part of an equation on the other spreadsheet.

2)   I have two excel spreadsheets.  On one of the spreadsheets, there is a column of numbers.   Although the display is a column of numbers, if you hover your cursor above it, the numbers are actually equations.  I would like to copy the numbers but not the equations onto another excel spreadsheet.  I presume that the best way to do this is to some how change this column of equations into literal numbers?   If so, could you kindly tell me how to do this?

Hello Wing, Thank you for your question.   We can do both of the things you want to do in Excel.

There are several ways to do them, but I will give the way that seems the simplest to me, not knowing your level of expertise in Excel nor which version of Excel you are using.

Regarding question #1, you can easily have a cell reference a cell in another sheet.  Let's say you have two sheets and they are called "Sheet1" and "Sheet2."  In the cell on Sheet two, type "=sheet1!f24" and that will reference cell F24 on Sheet One.  If the reference is part of a formula, as you type the formula, when you get to the part of the formula where you want to reference cell F24 on Sheet One, click on the Sheet One tab at the bottom, click on cell F24, and press enter.  That will reference cell F24 from Sheet One and return you back to the formula you are creating.

Question #2.  Easy to do.  Copy the range of cells, click Paste Special, and then paste special as Values.  After highlighting the range, you can right-click and click Copy, right click again and select Paste Special, and then select Values.  Or you can do the same thing from the Ribbon.  On the Home tab you will find the Copy, Paste, and Paste Special buttons, depending upon which version of Excel you are using.

You should not find this too difficult to do.  Hope this helped.  Good luck!

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

David W. Cofer

I can answer MS Excel questions regarding Excel Formulas, Functions, Worksheets, Data Validation, Conditional Formating, Lookup, Pivot Tables and Logic Functions, as well as other general Excel questions. I do not answer questions regarding Charts, Macros, Visual Basic or Programming. Please include the version of Excel you are using. That helps me provide an answer that will work on your system. Also, do not submit duplicate questions to several experts at the same time. If several of us are answering the same question at the same time, it is a waste of time and resources. If the first expert you ask does not provide an acceptable answer, then ask a second expert. As we are volunteers, our time is valuable, and it is a waste of time for 5 of us to be working on the same question at the same time. Thanks for your understanding.

I have used MS Excel for over 20 years and am familiar with all versions back to 1993. I currently use Excel 2013 and assist those using versions going back to 2000. I use Excel extensively at both work and home.

I hold a B.A. degree in Psychology.