Excel/Very, very slow processing of Excel file

Question

As most people, I have files that I created in previous formats with plenty of cells and formulas.  Now I am using Office 2007 and accessing these files.  The backward compatibility (compatibility mode) is there, but it just takes so long for me to do any operation.  You name it.  For example a simple hiding or unhiding columns takes about 4 or 5 seconds before the little icon stops spinning and the columns operation is completed.  It's pretty much the same thing when I work with any cell or cells.  

FYI, the file is about 43MB in size.  I use about ten tabs and I don't know how many lines, formulas etc. there are.  Plenty.

My Operating System is Windows 7.  I have an HP with RAM of 4.00GB.
CPU is Intel Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz, 64 bit.  And my hard drive has 878GB free of 915GB total.

Just as a test, I tried doing a Save As in Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook and Excel Binary Workbook, in addition to the current Excel 97-2003 Workbook.  Then in each file I tried various operations with no improvement on speed.  So is there an answer to my problem?  Thanks,

Art

Answer
Hello Art,

I have 2 options for you:
1. Try saving it in the latest format - .xlsx. Not sure if you have already done that.
2. If its only 10 tabs, you can try the following steps:
2.a Create a new blank excel file
2.b Copy the content from each sheet (Ctrl+A) and paste it in the new file using Paste Special - Paste Formula

If these 2 steps don't work, as a last resort you can share the file with me (assuming there's nothing confidential in it) and I'll try my luck with it. I have a 2010 version of excel.

Hope this helps,
Thanks,
Gulshan.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

GULSHAN PURSWANI