Excel/Is there a conditional formula for shaded cell criteria?

Question
Hi Tom,

Sorry, one more question!  Do you know if it is possible to write a conditional formatting formula that uses as a criterion whether a cell is shaded or not?

I do not want to introduce VBA to this worksheet.

I want to write a conditional formula that says "if this other cell  (in the same row) is shaded, and the number inthe cell is greater than or equal to another number (cell reference on a different worksheet in the book), then turn the cell in question a specific color.

I've got everything figured out except the "shaded cell" criteria.  I am kind of doubtful that it exists, but I hope it does!  (If it doesn't, it should - without VBA, of course!)

Thank you!!!!

Michele Debrey

PS  I submitted a longer/harder question earlier tonight...

Answer
Michele Debrey,

there is no formula that reads the color of a cell.  If the cell is colored based on a condition, perhaps that condition can be examined with your formula. As an example, say a row where the person is less than 10 is colored yellow.  then the formula could test the age and not the color.  

--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy