Excel/Copy Data from one cell to another cell in a different spreadsheet

Hi Tom,

Please could you help me I need a formula to copy the data from B3 on 1 spreadsheet to C3 on another spreadsheet.

assume both sheets are in the same workbook

the value in Sheet1!B3 needs to appear in Sheet2!C3

in the cell Sheet2!C3: =Sheet1!B3

if they are in different workbooks, then with both workbooks open

source:  Myworkbook1.xlsx, Sheet1, cell B3
Linked cell:  Myworkbook2.xlsx, Sheet2, cell C3

in C3 of Myworkbook2.xlsx on sheet2:  =[Myworkbook1.xlsx]Sheet1!B3

then save Myworkbook2.xlsx

now if you close Myworkbook1.xlsx you will see the reference is altered to included the fully qualified path to the closed workbook.

All that said, the easiest way to do this is to click in Cell C3 and put in an = sign, then navigate to the cell you want to link to and click in that cell and hit return.  This is true regardless of whether the link is on the same sheet, on different sheets in the same workbook or in different workbooks (opened in the same instance of excel).

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.