Excel/Excel Greyed Out Copying Multiple Cells

I've been driving myself crazy all day and can't get past this issue as I know I've done it in the past. I'm currently running Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 Version 14.0.7140.5002.

I have a spreadsheet that has a list of my food and beverage orders so cell A1 has the day, B1 has the item, C1 has the quantity, D1 has the amount, D2 is the total.

Before, I would be able to copy and paste multiple cells both containing columns and rows of data and paste all that data in one cell in another document.

So basically in that cell, I get a text version of everything that's in the other spreadsheet. Before I was able to just highly cells A1 - D2 and go to the formula bar, hit paste and then it's all in there - in a text version. Now, no matter how much data it is if it's one cell or 40, when I copy them, as soon as I click inside the cell, paste (and several other options) greys out.

Can you help???

ANSWER: Hi Crystal,

You can do what you describe by opening a second copy of Excel.

I don't understand. What do you mean a 2nd copy? It doesn't matter how many I open, when I highlight multiple cells from one spreadsheet and try to past all of those cell as text into one cell of another spreadsheet, the paste inside option is greyed out.

I can send you a copy of the sheet if you email me at .

thanks for your help!

Within the same instance of Excel, it is impossible to do what you describe. To do what you want you must open Excel two times and open each file in its own copy of Excel. To see whether Excel is open two times, open task manager, you should see two excel.exe entries if you have two instances.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Jan Karel Pieterse

Excel and Excel/VBA questions

Excel MVP

Self employed Excel developer

Bachelor in Chemical Engineering

Microsoft MVP award since 2002

Shell, Fortis bank, ABN-AMRO bank, Morgan Stanley, ...