Excel/subtotal if text contains phrase

Question
hi tom! happy new year!

so, i have this formula which subtotals if a cell equals certain data (where F contains the raw data, O is the data reference):
=SUMPRODUCT(--($F$26:$F$5000=$O3),SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET($F$26,ROW($F$26:$F$5000)-ROW($F$26),0)))

this works great for all but one of my formula needs - for this last one, i'm looking for a subtoal if a cell contains certain text (rather than equalling a cell's entire contents) - ex. if data in column be contains the word 'Belief'. do you know a way to adjust the above formula to account for that?

My best,

Sandy

Answer
Sandy,

This should do what you describe.

>ex. if data in column be contains the word 'Belief'.

there appears to be a typo in that line on what column to look at so I will show the example using column F but you can put in any column that contains the string as the second argument to FIND

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(FIND("Belief",$F$26:$F$5000))),SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET($F$26,ROW($F$26:$F$5000)-ROW($F$26),0)))

--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy