Excel/Borders

Question
Hi Tom

I would like black borders on one of my spreadsheets, however, when I apply the borders, they are showing up as light grey.  i have been into the "more borders" option, and changed the colour to black, but its not having any effect.

Could you help please?

Answer
gail,

Select the problematic cells

In the same dropdown where you picked more borders, above that choose line color and you should get an option to pick a color.  Make sure that is automatic.  

another thing to check is to click in the upper left corner so all the cells are selected and make sure you are using the normal style or if you have a later version of excel, under page layout, choose the office theme and the top selection under colors.

These are all pretty much guesses.  I found it very difficult to cause any problem with the border color.  

If you have a portion of your sheet that works properly or perhaps another worksheet, you can select an area on that sheet and click the format painter.  Then come to the problematic sheet and highlight the cells where you are having formatting problems.  This should apply the copied format to that area.  

Sorry I can't be more definitive, but I have no idea what you might have done.

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy