Excel/Changing background color in a cell

Question
I am wanting to make it so when I click on a cell and I get a drop down list - that I can change the background color of that cell to say a list of five colors. Example of use: I have built a calendar and I have a legend that shows five different events - each event is represented by a color, I select a date and I want to change the background color but not the date in the cell to show that an event is happening on the date. Again, create a drop down box to change the color of that cell without changing the data in the cell - in this example, it would have a date and all I want to do is change the background color of that cell.

Answer
Hi Alex,

There's no way to create a drop box to achieve this result. Drop box in excel is only for modifying data.

However, you can write a macro to add options so that when the user right clicks on the cell, they can see the options to change the cell colour.

Please let me know if that is a viable solution and I can try to work that one out.

Gulshan.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

GULSHAN PURSWANI