Excel/Changing background color in excel

I am wanting to make it so when I click on a cell and I get a drop down list - that I can change the background color of that cell to say a list of five colors. Example of use: I have built a calendar and I have a legend that shows five different events - each event is represented by a color, I select a date and I want to change the background color but not the date in the cell to show that an event is happening on the date. Again, create a drop down box to change the color of that cell without changing the data in the cell - in this example, it would have a date and all I want to do is change the background color of that cell.

a drop down list would be "data validation" but that would only allow you to change the value - if you already have the dates of the event, then conditional formatting could do it - otherwise, you'd need to use some VBA which may prove more complicated than simply applying the formatting you want to the cell - happy to help further and if it helps my direct email is
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!