Excel/Formula and text

Hi. I need to count how many times the word 'YES' is in a column in Excel but, I also need it to read 'Total number of patients w home with home health = (number)'

Assuming you have either yes or no, or either yes or blank in cells in the column, then the formula

=COUNTIF(A1:A20,"yes") should work for you.

I do not understand what is wanted in the second part of your question  "I also need it to read 'Total number of patients w home with home health = (number)"'

Can you explain please

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Richard Roberts

Can assist you in most areas of Excel, have been working with it for about 15 years in many types of applications, but primarily in financial and accounting applications. I am a CPA and many client or client problems have necessitated the use of excel. I am not an expert in charting, macros, or pivot tables.

Have been working with Excel for about 20 years primarily in accounting and financial areas.

BA, Certified Public Accountant