I have a giant spreadsheet.  Included are columns for Primary Email, Home Email and Work email.  I want to delete the duplicate email address for each individual row

I have highlighted them in red, and used the Remove Duplicate button.  It states that it is removing all the dups, but they are all still red and are all still there.

I have also checked to see if they are truly dups:  =e2=f2:  TRUE.

Please help.

The duplicate removal button is difficult to understand.

It will not remove a row where there is a duplicate unless there is another duplicate that is the same as the first.
for example

If cell A1 is 123 and cell B1 is 123
and cell A2 is 123 and cell B2 is 123
and cell A3 is 456 and cell B3 is 123

When you run the duplicate removal, row 2 will be removed it will leave row 1 as unique to the remainder of the sheet. and it will leave row 3 because it is unique to the remainder of the sheet.

This may not be the result you want since you still have 2 rows with 123 as the second e-mail address (assuming these are e-mail addresses)

I try to keep the process simple--
What I usually do is create by formula something I can sort on and then delete the ones I want to and keep what I do not want.

For example if you use the formula If(e2=f2,1,2)  You will get a 1 wherever you have a duplicate and a 2 where you do not.  I would then sort the data using the column with the 1's and 2's in it thus isolating the 1's.  It is then pretty easy to delete the rows that have 1 in them. You may need to run this a couple of times since you have three columns with e-mails in them.  After you have deleted the unwanted rows you can resort the data back to its original form.

If you have a giant spreadsheet you want to make sure you SAVE the original data before you run any of the procedures and scramble it up.

Hope this helps
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Richard Roberts

Can assist you in most areas of Excel, have been working with it for about 15 years in many types of applications, but primarily in financial and accounting applications. I am a CPA and many client or client problems have necessitated the use of excel. I am not an expert in charting, macros, or pivot tables.

Have been working with Excel for about 20 years primarily in accounting and financial areas.

BA, Certified Public Accountant