Excel/formula syntax

Question
pivot table
pivot table  
Hi Tom

From the attached image you will see a pivot table.  In a cell underneath it, you will see the following formula:
=GETPIVOTDATA("Average score",$A$3,"Category","Work")

The formula returns 1, which is represents 100%.  What I would like the formula to do is return the average of the numbers in the column highlighted in yellow.  Could you explain how this is done?

The formula was created by typing the equals character and then clicking on the relevant cell in the pivot table.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Answer
Chris,

I am having a little trouble following exactly what you are showing me.  Is Max score produced by the pivot table or is that where the GetPivotData formula is.  

In any event, GetPivotData just returns data displayed in the table.  It doesn't perform mathematical operations.  Also, GetPivotData is not required to reference cells in the pivot table.  The advantage of GetPivotData is that it will still work if you change the layout of the PivotTable and the fields referenced still make sense.  

If Avrg is in cell A1,  you could do

=Average(G3:G8)

If you have the use GetPivotData formula option checked, then you will need to type In this address rather than selecting it with you mouse.

If that doesn't answer the question, send me a sample workbook and explain what you are trying to do.  Send to twogilvy@msn.com

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy