Excel/formula syntax

Hi Tom

Cell ai12 contains the formula today().  Cell aj12 contains the text “deep marking”

Cell ah12 contains the formula: =CONCATENATE(AI2," ",AJ2)

This formula produces “42338 deep marking”.  I need the concatenate formula to produce “30/11/2015 deep marking”

Could you show me how to adjust the formula to achieve this?

Thanks in advance

=CONCATENATE(Text(AI2,"dd/mm/yyyy")," ",AJ2)

what is actually is being displayed is a date serial number.  This is the number of days from a base date usually 1/1/1900 in the windows version of Excel.  So the formatting of the cell gives it the proper appearance.  In the formula above I have added the necessary commands to add formatting to the date serial number.  You can alter the formatting string to make it appear as you wish.  

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.