Excel/SUMIF using wildcards

Hi Tom, I am trying to use a sumif formula to add up all the values in column D that correspond to items in column A that begin with 6.  This is the formula I am using, but its not working:

Its returning a zero, but I know there are items in Col A beginning with 6.  Is it something to do with formatting as a number, or text perhaps?

If you have real numbers in column A, then sumif doesn't work well with that type of criteria.  That criteria is more suited to text strings.  If you can convert column A to contain text strings  (stored as the string "611" vice the number 611 as an example) then your SUMIF would work.   

I would use this formula if column A has data stored as numbers:    =SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT(A1:A1000,1)="6"),D1:D1000)

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.