Excel/unwanted items

QUESTION: hello, and how are you?

I use Excel 2013 and Windows 7. My screen shows dashed borders which are necessary for printing.
Inside these borders, are superimposed words such as Page 7, Page 14, etc.
I find them to be a nuisance. How can I remove them, but keep the dashed borders?

I believe you are in the page break view screen, which superimposes the page numbers so you can see what page will print within that border.  If you want to still have the page borders but not the superimposed page numbers, you can use the page layout view.  Most users work with excel in normal view mode and then look at what is going to print using the page layout or the page break view screen.  For me the advantage of the page break view is that it will allow you to drag the page break to another area if wanted.

To change the view go to the home toolbar, clic on view and make your selection from those available.

Hope this helps.

QUESTION: Hi Richard!

Thank you for your prompt, concise reply. It was very helpful.
Two more related questions...

1-will the column letters and row numbers appear on the printed page? If not, what do I have to do to show them?
2-how do I change the borders of any page? Let's say the page of interest covers columns E-L, but I want to narrow that down to E-H. How is that done?

Thanks again.

1--The column letters and row numbers will not appear on the printed page unless you tell excel that you want them to appear.  To do that, in the home toolbar, go to page layout/click on the little arrow under sheet options and check the box that says row and column headings.

2--In the page break view screen you can drag the borders to where you want them.  You can also set the area that you want to print as follows--in the home toolbar go to page layout--paint the area that you want to set as the print area/select print area/select print area.

Hope this works
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Richard Roberts

Can assist you in most areas of Excel, have been working with it for about 15 years in many types of applications, but primarily in financial and accounting applications. I am a CPA and many client or client problems have necessitated the use of excel. I am not an expert in charting, macros, or pivot tables.

Have been working with Excel for about 20 years primarily in accounting and financial areas.

BA, Certified Public Accountant