Excel/If and or

Hi Tom, I am trying to do an if statement that will return the text "System Difference" if the following criteria are met:

Cell M2 contains the text "BDCUSER"  OR  "BATCH_PP_EP"

Cell B2 contains the number 957  OR  958

I cant seem to get the formula right, could you help?

As I read you requirements, I believe the below formula would do that:

=IF(AND(OR(M2="BDCUSER",M2="BATCH_PP_EP"),OR(B2=957,B2=958)),"System Difference","")

It appears blank if the conditions are not met.

I assume when you mean contains text, you mean that is the value of the cell - it isn't a substring of a longer string of text.

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.