it works good tom, for the new, used and repo column its great, i was trying to do it to a couple other columns, for example, make, and there might be 20 units, different makes, and then we might add a new unit a week later, i see that the select below the last one is blank then others are #n/a, since there will be a variable, and we will add other units, is there a way to hide the #n/a - i tried condition formatting having it turn white *font* if that cell contains #n/a but that doesn't appear to work..additionally tried a formula the if(d14="","", then the formula, neither worked...just didn't want to have to change the data dropdown each time it changes....

..is there another way?

In the formula I gave you, in H8 you can enter

=IFERROR(INDEX($E$7:$E$26, MATCH(0, COUNTIF($H$7:$H7, $E$7:$E$26), 0)),"")

using Ctrl+Shift+enter.  then drag that formula down.  It will suppress the #N/A formula and still work.

Is that what you are asking for?

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.