Excel/Conditional format formula

Question
Hi Tom

I wish a cell to be formatted according to a particular condition.
if cell Y3 is less than zero then condition.

I wrote:

=y3=<0

This produced a formula error message.

Could you explain where I have gone wrong?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Answer
Christopher Mitchell,

You have the symbol in he wrong order

=y3=<0

it should be

=Y3<=0

a good trick when you have this type of problem is to enter the formula in a cell and Excel will usually suggest a solution although it won't always capture your intent correctly but it should show the syntax problem.

--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy