Excel/Dependant drop down lists

Question
Hi
I am trying to create dependant drop down lists, I understand the concept of it however am coming across an issue.

So I am trying to use named ranges. I have 3 scenarios, 2 work however 1 doesn't.

1) if I create a named range based on a specific range eg =Sheet1!$A$2:$A$3 and call it test, then in cell B2 I type "test", then in C2 in the data validation I change to list and type in indirect(c2) - this works fine.
2) if I create a named range based off a dynamic offset formula eg =OFFSET(Sheet1!$B$1,1,0,COUNTA(Sheet1!$B:$B)-1,1) and call it test1, then in c2 in the data validation change to list and type
in = test1 - again this works fine.
3) However if I have a dynamic named range like above say called test2, then in c2 type test2, when I got into d2 and add in the list validation with indirect(c2) this doesn't work and I get the error "the source currently evaluates to an error"

I cant understand why this doesn't work - there are no spaces etc in the data I am using, is this functionality possible?

Answer
Jonathan,

That would be an indicator that your dynamic named range formula evaluates to an error value.

If you need me to debug the formula, then you can send an email with your workbook as an attachment to twogoilvy@msn.com

Just putting the formula a followup posting would likely not provide enough information to see why it might evaluate to an error.

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy