Excel/filtering on dates

Question
Hi Tom

I would like to filter on a column of dates, so that all I see is the dates beginning with 25, ie 25/02/2015, 25/03/2015, 25/04/2015, and so on.  I have tried doing a custom filter of "begins with" 25, but it dosent work.

Have you come across this before?

Thanks

Gail

Answer
Gail,

I would put in a dummy column.

say your dates are in column F with a header in row 1 and data starting in row 2.

say M is the next available column.  In M2 I would put the formula

=Day(F2)

then drag fill that down the column.   Then I would filer on column M (n my hypothesized example).

When talking about dates, the underlying date is stored as a date serial number.  That number is the number of days since 1/1/1900 in most cases.  Formatting it as date produces the more familiar date format you see.    It doesn't appear that the filter has much support for selecting the day of the month across a large range of dates.  
--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy