Excel/Replace text

Hi Tom,

Please, see if you can help me.

I need a function (can be a macro too, but i prefer function) that change some text to another.

I tryed to use REPLACE but it not work very well. I will use a example:

I want to change PRESS to PRESSAO.

The result is PRESSAOAO.

You understand my problem?

I need to make this substitution for many others words, but i use REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE(REPLACE..... and its fine.

I just need to solve this question. Thanks a lot!

Thiago Varella,

It sounds like you have a sentence that contains both PRESS and PRESSAO

such as

A8: first word PRESS and second word PRESSAO

so if you used your formula on that sentence it would return

first word PRESSAO and second word PRESSAOAO

I would change the formula to

so that would only change the first instance of PRESS since it is followed by a space.

if I had a sentence with only one of the words in it and I wanted to do nothing if the sentence contained PRESSAO, then I could do

so there are a couple of ideas that address separate situations.  

Hope there is something you can use there.

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.