Excel/sequential label in a column

Tom: Im sorry to bother you so frequently, but you're the pinnacle of expertise to my ignorance.

I have some 7000 rows of text data in column K where sporadically there is text labeled <Player>1</Player>.  This might occur some 50 times.  

In "R1" is a number used as a starter.

I want a macro that starts in "K1" (it could definitely stop by row 9999) and searches down for every <Player>1</Player> and renames it sequentially <Player>whatever value is in R1</Player> for the first instance, <Player>1 more than whatever value is in R1</Player>for the second instance, <Player>2 more than whatever value is in R1</Player> etc for every additional instance.

Another macro would be needed to find a similar entry, but before the 1 is always the player's initials, so it might be AC1, KT1 WB1 etc, this macro would need to keep the initials while sequentially renaming the number 1s. so it would be AC2, KT3, WB4 (assuming R1 is 2 as a starter).

could you send a workbook to me so I can take a look.  It  is hard to write code on a word picture?

You can strip data that is sensitive and I will try to understand your requirement and give you a "first cut".  Then if you find that the code doesn't work on the actual workbook, we can discuss what the problem might be and rework it.

send to

I am going to my second job for about 6 hours, so won't be able to respond right away but if it is there when I get home, I will try to look at it.

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.