Excel/Unicode Characters Data in Excel.

Dear Damon

Can we store Unicode characters data in Excel ?. In that case can we store in Text , General etc cell fields for storing unicode characters ?.

Are there string functions in Excel application related to Unicode characters  ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Hi Prashant,

Yes, Excel can store Unicode-16 characters, not just the ASCII or Unicode-8 subset. They are stored as text, but can also be entered in General formatting mode.  The easiest way to enter Unicode characters is to use the Symbols button on the Insert ribbon toolbar (Excel 2007 and up).  This is the same as using the Windows Character Map utility.

Not only can you enter Unicode characters in cells, you can use some Unicode characters in the VBA editor, such as when you would like to name a variable instead of "Beta".

Dim    As Single

Most of the string functions in Excel work correctly with Unicode.  Examples are RIGHT, LEFT, and MID, & (the concatenation operator), REPLACE(), but not INSTR.  

There are several UNICODE-specific functions that are new with Excel 2013.  These are UNICODE() and UNICHAR(), which are Unicode versions of the CODE() and CHAR() functions.

I hope you find this helpful.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Damon Ostrander

I have extensive experience with VBA programming in Excel 5 through Excel 2013. As a former aerospace engineer with a large aerospace corporation and consultant in a small defense technology services company, I have developed a wide range of applications in VBA, including simulations involving mixed-language programming, satellite orbit mechanics, graphics and animation, and real-time applications. I am interested in moderate to hard VBA-related questions only.

I have developed and taught several courses in Excel VBA programming and also VBA programming in Office 97, 2000, and 2007. I have developed a number of large technical applications in Excel VBA for use within the aerospace industry.

B.S. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of California, Berkeley.