Excel/Unicode Characters Data in Excel.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Aidan

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unicode_characters
unicode-table.com/
unicode.org/charts/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Excel

Can we store Unicode characters data in Excel ?. In that case can we store in Text , General etc cell fields for storing unicode characters ?.

Are there string functions in Excel application related to Unicode characters  ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: I'm not quite sure what you are trying to achieve here, but what we SEE in all computer applications is simply the computer translating instructions - where it relates to fonts these would be stored as values and displayed as the appropriate symbol for that value based on the font in use in the cell.  An individual excel cell can only have one format applied but would display whatever text is associated with the symbols entered - which could be via keyboard input or by an ALT numeric key method (to name but two).  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt_code may help slightly more than the wiki you pointed me to.  the CHAR worksheet function is the only one I know of which uses code characters.

QUESTION: Dear Aidan

Thanks.

Similar to storing numeric,string,date/time,currency, general,custom etc data types,can
we define a new data type as Unicode Characters which will allow us to store
Unicode characters ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
slightly outside my area of knowledge, and not something I'd be certain I'd know how to research - were you looking to store the actual code numbers - if so, having the cell formatted as text would allow you to do this (to keep the trailing zeros).  If you wanted to store the actual character, then using the alt key method would work - the following three characters :

have all be entered by pressing various 4 digit numbers on the numeric keypad whilst holding down the ALT key.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Aidan Heritage