Excel/Calculating test results

Question

I have a summary worksheet and 10 test results worksheet in 1 excel file.

The test result is a list with the following options to be selected:

Pass
Fail
Fail and Retest
Pass with caveat
Not yet tested
Unable to test

I would like to be able to calculate how many pass results recorded in the summary worksheet.

Thank you and kind regards, Novi

Answer
Novi

It appears that what you need is a countif formula.  This formula will count the number of incidents meeting the criteria within a given range.  Lets assume your results of Pass, Fail, Fail and Retest, Pass With Caveat, Not yet tested, and unable to test are included in the cell range from B1 through cell B100.  The formula would look like this =COUNTIF(B1:B100,"pass") or if you want to know how many fails there were the formula would look like this =COUNTIF(B1:B100,"fail").  I think you get the idea.

I usually take the formula a bit further and create the list of possible criteria and then refer to the list in the formula, for example---

Assume I create the list in cells E1 thru cell E6 with pass being in cell E1 and Fail being in cell E2, and so on.  I can now write the formula like this
=+COUNTIF(B1:B100,E1)
So instead of typing pass in the criteria, i can now refer to cell E1 which has Pass in it.

Hope this helps

Richard

Florida
USA  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Richard Roberts