Excel/How to create a running report

I would like to be able to download my daily report of sales and add it to my Running Inventory report.  

Running Report
Item A - 5 units
Item B - 9 units
Item C - 3 units

Today's report of sales
Item A - 3 units
Item B - 4 units
Item C - 1 unit

Currently I add these manually, line by line, every day.  At 400 active items, its time for me to learn how to automate the process.  Where would you recommend I start?

I suspect that recording a macro carrying out the actions you currently take would be a good starting point - though this would have fixed rows in place, you could then modify that to use variable rows.  The question doesn't hint at the level of knowledge you have in VBA, so there may well be lots of hand holding required to progress this - more than happy to help in any way I can, and if it helps my direct email is

(question found in question pool)
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!