Excel/Dates and Formulas

I am currently working with Excel 2010.  I am hoping you can help me with a formula.  I am a landlord and have  multiple units that I need to review yearly.  I do this by the month that they move in.  In my current spreadsheet,  I have columns listed with Name, Rent, Housing, and Move In Date.  The date is formatted mm/dd/yyyy.  I am looking for a formula that will give me a list of names on who moved in by month.   For the purposes of the formula, day and year do not matter just the month that they moved in.  any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

to get it as a number use =month(YourCell) and if you would prefer text then =text(yourcell,"MMMM")

in both cases replace my YourCell phrase with a cell reference!  Once you have that use autofilter to filter on any given month, or a pivot table to summarise them
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!