Excel/Finding a value in a range and returning info from another column

I need to come up with an Excel formula that will look for a value in a range and return a value in a separate column. Below is a sample, assuming the values below are in cells A1 to C6. In a separate cell, I would enter a quantity then I need it to find the appropriate range between columns A and B, and then return the value in column C. So, if I entered 650, then I would need it to return a value of "C". I've tried a few variations of Vlookup, but I can't seem to get it to work right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1   500   A
501   600   B
601   700   C
701   800   D
801   900   E
901   1000   F

VLOOKUP is the way to go; however, you need to tweak one of the parameters to search for the closest match (TRUE) instead of an exact match (FALSE).  Assuming your data is in A1 to C6, you would use the following:

The "TRUE" at the end is key.  Please note this formula requires the data in A1 thorough C6 to be organized in sequence... which it is. It wouldn't work if you had 701 before 501, etc.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

This expert requires a donation of $5 for questions answered (satisfaction guaranteed). Isn't $5 a value for this experts time?
Microsoft Excel questions related to advanced formulas, Pivot Tables, filters, forms, graphs, and just about anything else (EXCEPT Visual Basic Coding/Programming and Macros, I don't answer questions in those categories).

I have been using spreadsheets since Lotus 1-2-3 was released.

Certified Public Accountant (CPA)