Excel/formula syntax

Hi Tom

I have written the following formula.

I am trying to lookup a series of comments and concatenate them.  There seems to be something wrong with my syntax, because the formula returns a VALUE error.

In cell Q2 there is a numerical number which references a comment in the named range "comments".  The comment is located in the second column.

Could you point out where I might have gone wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Assuming your vlookup functions work, then you have left out several ampersand characters to concatenate the results together

would be

so the second and third Vlookup functions are preceded by an ampersand (&)

there is no readily apparent reason to have the two &Char(10)s on the end of your function, but perhaps you have a reason.

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.