Excel/VBA solution to create a files structure

Hi Tom,

I want to create a workbook that contains an index of all folders (and possibly also files) within a given folder and sub-folders. I want to be able to update this index on a regular basis. Is it possible to do this with a macro? I'm sure I've seen something that can loop through folders and sub-folders, but I'm not sure how to use that to create an index.

I'm using excel 2010.

Thanks in advance,

Microsoft documents three different methods for recursing through directories/folders with sample code that can be adapted to Excel.
How To Search Directories to Find or List Files
HOW TO: Recursively Search Directories by Using FileSystemObject
How To Use FileSystemObject with Visual Basic

So the code for the method that appeals to you would need to be adapted to what you call an index.  That term is not self defining to me.  I know what an index for a book is but I don't know what you envision or what functionality you want.

As far as updating, I think it would be simple to just clear the old "index" and rebuild it with the same code on a periodic basis.

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.