Excel/conditional formatting syntax

Hi Tom

I have tried to conditionall format a cell according to the following formula without any success, Could you tell me where I have gone wrong?

=if(vlookup(a24,gradecon,2,false)=vlookup(a25,gradecon,2,false) "then conditional format"

Thanks in advance

Christopher Mitchell,

If you are using a formula to determine whether to apply the formatting (this is done in the conditional formatting dialog), then you want to return a true or false answer.  

should do that.

this assumes gradecon is a named range with at least two columns.  

If you want to use the IF function you can do

but that seems redundant.

If you are trying to put a formula in a cell and then use the results of the formula to determine what conditional formatting to apply, then basically you would configure the conditional formatting condition to be the cell itself (its value)

as an example where F9 has =vlookup($a$24,gradecon,2,false)=vlookup($a$25,gradecon,2,false)

If none of this helps you out, send me a sample file (small) and an explanation of what you want

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.