Excel/your reply

Question
Thanks for your reply Tom.
Can you answer my question without referring to the Jewish week end, E.I is there a formula to subtract fix amount of days from a date.
For example: May 12 2015 minus 2 = May 11 2015.
Thanks
Moshe

Answer
Moshe,

Dates are stored as the number of days from a fixed point.  In the windows version of excel this is 1900 (midnight on Dec 31, 1899).  So if you want to just add or subtract days from a date, then you would just do

=DateValue("May 12, 2015")-2
and format that cell as Date

of if say A1 had the date May 12, 2015 in B1 you could put  = A1-2

Now you show May 11, 2015 as the answer, but I would see it being May 10, 2015.  I don't know if that is a typo or you are conveying some deeper meaning.

If I wanted to subtract 5 workdays as an example, I could use the Workday function

=Workdays(A1,-5)  gives May 5, 2015 when the cell with the formula is formatted as a date.
(A1 contains the date May 12, 2015 as previously stated.

In Excel 2003 and earlier, the workday and networkday functions were in an addin distributed with excel called the Analysis toolpak.  In Excel 2007 and later they are native worksheet functions.  

Also note that  the date serial for today is 42136 (in windows excel using the default base date).  If I wanted to store today at 6 am I would use the serial  42136.25  since 6 hours is a quarter of a day.  Just a heads up that a date may also have a time of day embedded in it.

Does that answer the question or are you looking for something that also interprets the day of the week (weekday function).  

--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy