Excel/Excel 2010

QUESTION: I have two cells.  "Installed" and "Warning".
"Installed" contains just a year ie. 2001
I would like to have the cell "Warning" display either "Warning" or "Good".

"Warning" displayed if the date installed is 10 or more years older than the current date.  But I need the sheet to always use the current date.

"Good" displayed if the date installed is less than 10 years old.

ANSWER: Justin Taylor,

In cell Warning put this formula

this assumed installed is a defined/range name that refers to the cell containing the year the item was installed.

Tom Ogilvy

QUESTION: It didn't seem to work but that might have been because I should have said "column" not "cell" in my question when referring to "Installed"

Sample of formula at work
Sample of formula at w  
In some cases that would make a difference.  However, I put years in B1:B whatever and I named that range Installed.  In C1 I put in my formula and drag filled it down.  It worked fine because even though Installed is a column range, since the formula is in a row that intersects that column range, the formula performs what is called implicit intersection.  In row 1, where the formula sees Installed, it actually looks a the intersection of that column Name and row 1 and so it looks at cell B1.    in row 5 it it looks at B5.  In column D I put in a similar formula (for checking purposes) that explicitly refers to the proper cell and you can see from the attached image, they both produce the exact same result for me.  

So I show in the image the formula works as I understand the requirement.  

Note:  I did not in the picture there were a couple of disagreements between the original formula and the check formula - that is because in the check formula I used <=10 by mistake.  I have corrected it and they all match now.  I have attached a revised image with
B1:B28   Installed  named range with install year
C1:C28   My original formula placed in C1 and drag filled down
         C1: =IF(Installed="","",IF((YEAR(TODAY())-Installed)<10,"Good","Warning")) filled down
D1:D28   My revised check formula  D1: =IF(YEAR(TODAY())-B1<10,"Good","Warning")  filled down
E1:E28   E1: =YEAR(TODAY())-B1   drag filled down
F1:F28   F1: =Installed   drag filled down - demonstrate implicit intersection
G1:G28   G1: =YEAR(TODAY())-F1  drag filled down

so columns D - G are just formulas to show different parts of the calculation

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.