Excel/but excel question using named references

Question
excel 10, windows 7

Question:
i have a number of names setup each has a few (2-7 text) names in them.  When i have a cell in my worksheet that uses a dropdown to choose a name to work with, i want to put all the list of test names in that named file in referenced cells.  So, if the name is "weldlines", then to look up the name "weldline" and put the 7 names under weldline in cells say a1 thru a7, or if the name is say "upsetter", then put the 3 names under upsetter in cells a1 to a3, etc.

Answer
Richard,

So in D3 I had a dropdown built with data validation that refered to a named range of cells that contained entries like  Weldline, upsetter, and so forth

I had corresponding named ranges with these names and these named ranged contained anywhere from 1 to 7 entries/cells.

then in A1 of the same sheet that had the dropdown in D3 I put in this formula:

=IFERROR(IF($D$3="","",INDEX(INDIRECT($D$3),ROW(A1),1)),"")

I then drag filled that down to A7.  

When I selected a name in the D3 dropdown, it showed the values for the cells that were included in the range of that name - i.e. it did what you described.

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy