Excel/Summing from several tabs formula

Hi Tom

I have inherited a spreadsheet which uses the following formula to add up the contents of cell D14 on several different tabs, named JAN, FEB etc through to DEC.  

My problem is that it only seems to be picking up from JAN, FEB, MAR and APR tabs, but MAY tab also has data in cell D14, which I would like to be included in the sum.  Have you any idea what could be stopping it picking up the MAY data?

One problem could be that the entry in D14 on sheet May may be a text string stored as a number.  You can test this by going to sheet May and in any blank cell put in

or from any sheet

If it doesn't return True, then it would be ignored by the sum function.  You would need to edit the cell (reenter the data making sure the cell isn't formatted as text).  

Another possibility is that MAY does not appear between the JAN and the DEC sheets in the TAB order.  The 3D reference will refer to all sheets between and including JAN and DEC in the Tab order of the workbook.  So if MAY is outside DEC to JAN in the tab order, it would not be included in the reference. If this is the case, you just need to drag MAY back between the two Terminal sheets (JAN and DEC)

Those are the two things that I can think of.  Hopefully one of them is your problem and you can get it fixed.  

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.