Excel/Changing Text to Number format swiftly

Changing Text to Number format swiftly
Changing Text to Numbe  

We have numbers are in Text format for more than 10,000 rows and from column "C" to column "AZ". Currently we are converting it to number by using text to columns to convert it to number format which would take huge time to convert for each columns.

Could you please suggest a macro that will convert all the text to numbers swiftly. Thanks for your assistance on this issue. We have attached our report in the image format.

Thanks in advance,

Hi Jay,

I believe the following macro should do what you want.  Note that it specifically processes only the range C1:AZ10000, but this is easy to adjust in the code.

Sub TextToNumber()

'  Convert the designated range text-formatted values to
'  actual Excel numbers

Dim Temp       As Variant     'temporary storage array
  Dim iRow       As Long
  Dim R          As Range
  For iRow = 1 To 10000
     Set R = Range(Cells(iRow, "C"), Cells(iRow, "AZ"))
     'Store the row temporarily
     Temp = R
     R.NumberFormat = "General"
     'Restore the row values into the reformatted cells
     R = Temp
  Next iRow
End Sub

Also, if you want a specific number format note that you can set that in place of using "General".

I hope you find this helpful.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Damon Ostrander

I have extensive experience with VBA programming in Excel 5 through Excel 2013. As a former aerospace engineer with a large aerospace corporation and consultant in a small defense technology services company, I have developed a wide range of applications in VBA, including simulations involving mixed-language programming, satellite orbit mechanics, graphics and animation, and real-time applications. I am interested in moderate to hard VBA-related questions only.

I have developed and taught several courses in Excel VBA programming and also VBA programming in Office 97, 2000, and 2007. I have developed a number of large technical applications in Excel VBA for use within the aerospace industry.

B.S. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of California, Berkeley.