Excel/countif of dates

Question
Hi Aidan,
I am using Excel 2010.
I have a two column table of orders.
In column A - the date
In column B - the number of orders that were order in that date.
For example:
26/1/2015 - 6
27/1/2015 - 3

I wish to count all the order per each month.
Please advise.
Thanks

Answer
my GUESS is that you want to have a summary of every month - if so, I'd put in a "helper" column which has the formula

=A1-day(a1)+1

where A1 represents the cell with a date - this will return the 1st day of the month of A1 - copy this formula down, and you can then (I would suggest) use a pivot table to sum the orders per month.

Hopefully this gives you what you need, but if you need further information please let me know and I'll be happy to help further.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Aidan Heritage