Excel/countif of dates

Hi Richard,
I am using Excel 2010.
I have a two column table of orders.
In column A - the date
In column B - the number of orders that were order in that date.
For example:
26/1/2015 - 6
27/1/2015 - 3

I wish to count all the order per each month.
Please advise.

The simplest way might be to use helper cells that convert the value in column A to a month number and then use the countif formula to count the number of 1's, and 2's and 3's, etc.
For example assume we make column C our helper cell column. The formula in cell C1 would be =MONTH(A1).  When copied down the formula would give you the month of each cell in column A as a numeric value, I.E. 1 for January, 2 for February, etc.  The formula to count the number of sales in January would then be =COUNTIF(C1:C100,1).  Of course the formula for number of sales in February would be =COUNTIF(C1:C100,2), and so on.  As you can see, in my example I have assumed the rows used are 1 thru 100.

Hope this works for you

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Richard Roberts

Can assist you in most areas of Excel, have been working with it for about 15 years in many types of applications, but primarily in financial and accounting applications. I am a CPA and many client or client problems have necessitated the use of excel. I am not an expert in charting, macros, or pivot tables.

Have been working with Excel for about 20 years primarily in accounting and financial areas.

BA, Certified Public Accountant