Excel/if not is error formula

Question
Hello Aidan,

I am a huge database file, i am trying to categorise the items based on descriptions.

I am using the following formula:
=IF(NOT(ISERROR(SEARCH("Water Set",A2))),"W/S",IF(NOT(ISERROR(SEARCH("Decanter",A2)),"Oth Dkw",IF(NOT(ISERROR(SEARCH("Dinner Pl",A2))),"Dinn")))

I am trying to search the word eg: water set and return W/S in the cell and so on so it automatically categorises, but somehow the formula is not working.

Please highlight where i am going wrong so i can rectify it.

Thank you in advance :)

Answer
the number of brackets in your typed formula is wrong, but that may just be typing

=IF(NOT(ISERROR(SEARCH("Water Set",A2))),"W/S",IF(NOT(ISERROR(SEARCH("Decanter",A2))),"Oth Dkw",IF(NOT(ISERROR(SEARCH("Dinner Pl",A2))),"Dinn")))

would be the corrected version - however, this may not be the issue - extra spaces in the phrases would cause the formula to fail to match.  I'm assuming that having FALSE returned if the three options fail is by design so you can change those values to other options?

Happy to look at sample files if that helps - my email is support@flameenterprises.co.uk
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Aidan Heritage