Excel/Indexing or Cross Referencing Cells Conditionally?

Question
Hi there,

I have an issue I'm struggling to resolve in Excel (MS Office 2010 version).

I have thousands of records I'm entering and part of the data is structured as follows (I've added rows and columns in [])

[D]         [E]     [F]    [G]     [H]     [I]      [J]
[1] Southampton      Rejected Course:      #N/A

[2] E42    BC98      O    W       
[3] C30    BC98    U    B    C       D 
[4] B60    CL85          C    x    D 
[5] N84    B940       L    C       I 
[6] S96    BC98       E    C       F 

Firstly I know this would be easier in a database, but that is not an option, similarly due to how the data has to be structured I don't think filters or a pivot table can be used.

Essentially I have a lookup table & formula set up so that [H1] will report a result based on the entry in [E1]; the challenge is getting [E1] to show the correct result.  

[E1] needs to be the value from column [E], where the associated values in columns [D] and [J] are 'B60' and 'D' respectively.  So in the example above the correct value to appear in [E1] would be 'CL85'.

How do I do this though!?!

Many thanks

Answer
Hello Dean,

I need to understand the question a bit more specifically. Especially the conditions which you are using for getting the result in column E.
Can you mail me a sample copy of the file. Its a bit difficult to read the way its currently posted along with the question. Please send your file to - gulthemacroguy@gmail.com and include AllExperts in the subject line.

We can take it further once I have a look at the file.

Thanks,
Gulshan.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

GULSHAN PURSWANI