Excel/Conditional formatting

Question
Hello Mary

I am using EXCEL 2010. I have a spreadsheet where dates are entered in Column A, values are entered in Columns B to F, and Column G contains a calculated value based on Columns B to F.

What I want is to highlight those rows,in say yellow, where the date is greater than today's date.

I have come to a stalemate with my current efforts although the solution is probably something simple maybe.

Perhaps you could help me please?

Regards
John

Answer
Hi John,

You can use Conditional Formatting to get this done.

To create the first rule:

Select cells A1 through F##. Do this by dragging from A2 to A##.
Then, click Home > Conditional Formatting > New Rule.
In the New Formatting Rule dialog box, click Use a formula to determine which cells to format.
Under Format values where this formula is true, type the formula: =A2>TODAY()
The formula uses the TODAY function to see if the dates in column A are greater than today (in the future). If so, the cells are formatted.

Click Format.

In the Color box, select Red. In the Font Style box, select Bold.

Click OK until the dialog boxes are closed.

The formatting is applied to column A.

Hope this helps with your project.

Best,

Mary Lindsey
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Mary A. Lindsey