Excel/converting a formula to a number

hi Aidan, how have you been?

In column A,say,in cells A1 through A20, I have entered numbers. Similarly, in column B, I entered numbers in cells B1 through B20.

In column C, I obtain the sum, in each row, by using the formula for summation, such as =sum(A1+B1) and the result shows in cell C1. I copy and paste the formula for the other 19 rows.
So far, so good.
Now I want to sort the summed values that reside in column C. But I find that the sorting doesn't work.
Only when I convert the formula's result to numbers can I sort. If there only a few rows, this labor is not tiring, but with many rows the task is too much.
Is there a way of sorting those formula-style values in column C? Or do I need to devise a macro to do this job of converting every formula into a number?
Thanks for your help.

I'm puzzled - though by the way =a1+b1 is the same as sum(a1+b1) - BUT sorting the data SHOULD work - I do it regularly, and have no issues - the cells with formulas are still numbers - is it possible to see some sample data?  My email is
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!