Excel/EXCEL 2010 Problems with "Open File"

I'm using Excel 2010 and Windows 10. Because of problems with other software, I had to reinstall MS Office 2010. Now, when I open Excel and click on the icon for "Open file", Excel no longer displays the names of previously opened files in the left panel, nor does it display the folder names in the right panel. What appears is similar to what appears if I had pressed Windows Explorer, basically displaying the entire folder list on the left with the sub-folders on the right.

Is there any way to get the Excel display of folders and files when I click on the Open File icon in Excel?

Thank you.

Bob Kunz

I've not experienced this (though I haven't got windows 10 - I'm not rushing to upgrade, I'll wait until some more of the bugs have been ironed out) but this DOES sound like another bug - I've had reports of issues with office 2013 and Windows 10 requiring patches etc.  Having said that, I've googled and it MAY be a longstanding potential issue - talks about this at length, with some possible fixes
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!