Excel/excel addition and subtraction using barcode scanner

Question
the bar code scanner i have inputs like a keyboard wedge. once i scan into excel it does A1 grey tshirt then A2 grey tshirt and so on and so forth. i need a way to add these quantities up, or subtract, and change the quantity column for each item on the same excel sheet or maybe even a different one. i would like to do this via vba code and using excels bar code macro function. is there any possible way? and if so, could you help me out with the vba code?

Answer
bobby,

again, you don't need any vba code for what you describe..  You can use formulas.  For entries in column A

=countif(A:A,"grey tshirt")-countif(A:A,"grey tshirt 1")

so you are reading in a separate barcode to indicate subtraction.

if you wanted to do it from another sheet, assume the sheet with the entries is named Sheet1, then on another sheet you could do:

=countif(Sheet1!A:A,"grey tshirt")-countif(Sheet1!A:A,"grey tshirt 1")

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy