Excel/excel inventory

Question
"so i have a formula, =COUNTIF(A:A,"grey")-COUNTIF(A:A,"grey-1") that will give me a number of the amount of tshirts that i have sold, or added, to my inventory. if i only sell shirts, i will have some negative number, if i got new ones in, i will have a positive number. it just counts the total number of shirts coming and going out for the day, lets say that number is in A1 and the number for today is -3, reflecting that i have sold 3 shirts. well i have the number of shirts i started with that morning, lets say 10, in column B1. i need for B1 to update its value by getting the sum from A1 and itself. is there a way to do that? now i can use a copy of my original spreadsheet to configure the new totals and all of that, but i need the master sheet to be updated using the numbers from the copy. i only sell 12 different tshirts with different sizes but i sell alot, as well as acquire new inventory, so i like to use this method because it allows me to use my barcode scanner. is!
 there any way to get the cells to update their numbers from another sheet without the "=" operator? the = operator will not work because i wouldnt have a number to reference for calculations. help please."

Answer
bobby,

I showed you how to add in your onhand inventory.

At this point, if you want to send me your workbook, which I assume has a working sheet where you put in your barcode data each data and a master sheet where you want to accumulate your inventory.  If I understand what you are describing, I can offer an approach.  There is no need to keep piling up questions even before I have had a chance to answer them.  

You can send your workbook to twogilvy@msn.com

It doesn't have to have your actual data if that is a concern but then I will only be able to answer with respect to what you send me.

Don't expect an instant response.  I answer questions in my spare time.  

--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy