Excel/Look up

I am trying to create a dynamic formula that looks up a value based on a selected period. I want the current value, and the previous two values (rows 1 and 2 above the currently selected period. I am able to use the vlook up for the current period, but cannot figure out how to get the previous two periods.
Selected 2015-Q3&Q4
so I want the values from 2015-Q1&Q2 and 2014 - Q3 & Q4
2013 - Q1 & Q2   246   
2013 - Q3 & Q4   196   
2014 - Q1 & Q2   126   
2014 - Q3 & Q4   146   
2015 - Q1 & Q2   141   
2015 - Q3 & Q4   188   
2016 - Q1 & Q2   38

it's difficult to determine how the data is stored, but in essence I think you are going to want to do an index match to return the value RATHER than a lookup - index match returns a row within a table, so it's easy to return the values one row and two rows above that - if you email me an example spreadsheet (support@flameenterprises.co.uk) I can expand on this answer.

(question found in question pool - original expert unable or unwilling to answer)
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!